From rail to ale

, January 30th, 2018
Visitors enjoying the surroundings of the Station Yard.

Visitors enjoying the surroundings of the Station Yard.

Pints are being pulled at East Lothian’s first micro-pub. A former coal merchant’s office built in 1862 in front of Dunbar Station in East Lothian opened on 1 December as the Station Yard, a bar  offering a variety of craft ales and locally-sourced spirits.

The bar is the concept and creation of local man Gerard McPhillip and his business partner David McGee, who hails from Philadelphia. Project funding support was provided by the Railway Heritage Trust. The building now has a screen providing guests with real-time train running information.

A commemoration to the coal business of T. Foggo and Son, the former occupants of the building, is also displayed for visitors, providing a sense of history. Three generations of the family attended the opening ceremony.

A beer garden for will be opened during the summer.